The Silicon Valley Roller Girls challenge YOU to come up with an enticing slogan for our league! Winners will receive a 4-pack of one-day passes to Hot San Jose Nights!
SVRG needs a new slogan for marketing purposes that is in-line with our sports-oriented, classy, and technology-based theme and our mission statement, which can be found at www.svrollergirls.com.
CCRD’s is ‘cheaper than anger management’, Salt City’s is ‘like salt in an open wound’ (or something like that). What should ours be?
Feeling creative? Please post your ideas here in comments or email your submissions to PR@svrollergirls.com. SVRG’s Board of Directors will be voting on the top picks at the end of June and will award the winner with tickets to Hot San Jose Nights!
The Silicon Valley Roller Girls are being featured at Hot San Jose Nights this July, so don’t miss out on all the crazy fun!
Hot San Jose Nights is a classic car event featuring an Autorama, Show-n-Shine, Collector Car Auction, Swap Meet, Cruises, Prom, Drive-In Movies, and many more happenings from Wednesday, July 6th through Sunday, July 10th. There’s an incredible amount of activities available for the entire family, making it one of the summer’s do-not-miss events!
Catch SVRG during the following HSJN festivities:
- Mon. July 4th at 10am – Red, White, and Blue Parade downtown San Jose!
- Fri. July 8th at 5:45pm – The Cruise to the Drive-In leaves Santa Clara County Fairgrounds for a showing of American Graffiti and Grease, as well as music by The Hot Rods Band!
- Sat. July 9th – SVRG Junior Derby Bout at 12noon and SVRG’s Adults at 4pm
- Sun. July 10th – SVRG Junior Derby Bout at 12noon and SVRG’s Adults at 4pm
Get your one-day passes for only $10 which includes admission to all HSJN festivities for Saturday and/or Sunday, including our exhibition bouts! Tickets are available from your local derby girls but they’ll be gone in no time! Email PR@svrollergirls.com to find out when and where you can pick yours up!
For complete ticketing information and passes to attend all of the exciting activities all week long, go to Hot San Jose Night’s website.
SVRG collected bras for Be A Dear last summer at one of our exhibition bouts!
“Be a Dear and Donate a Brassiere” is a community organization that collects new and gently-used bras which are then donated to other local charities that serve women in need. Most women would agree that having a comfortable, well-fit bra is key to feeling confident in your wardrobe.
When hunting for a new job, or even just taking care of daily chores, wearing the right bra is important. Bras can be very expensive and when making donations to charities the need for bras is often overlooked. Be a Dear’s mission is to change that and make sure every woman has access to the comfort and support they need.
Last season SVRG teamed up with Be a Dear and collected bras at one of our exhibition bouts, and this season Be a Dear will be at our June 11th bout collecting new and gently-used bras for Sacred Heart. Please bring your gently-used or new bras to their table, or if you’d prefer to drop off your donations some other time, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange it. You can also find them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BeaDearandDonateaBrassiere
Do you know a girl between the ages of 7 and 17 who wants to play roller derby? Forward this flyer and have her contact Coach Chanasaw at email@example.com.
SVRG fully supports the mission of the Silicon Valley YWCA. On April 27th, a group of our skaters were there to cheer on the participants of the YWCA’s “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes”, a rape awareness event. Men signed up to walk a mile in a pair of borrowed high heels in order to demonstrate their support of women and help get the word out about rape statistics and prevention.
SVRG at Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, 2011
The mission of the YWCA is to empower women and eliminate racism. YWCA provides support to women in times of crisis, and helps them deal with the impact of domestic violence and rape. YWCA provides job training, career counseling and child care to help women be independent and strong.
How can you support the YWCA?
1) Financial donations are always needed.
2) Volunteer your time! Areas where volunteers are always needed include:
- Event Committees
- Family Services Department
- Rape Crisis Center and Hotline
- Child Care Center
- AVID Tutors
- Child Mentors
For more info, or to get involved, check them out online.
Join us the weekend of May 13th and 14th for ComedySportz improv comedy nights at Camera 3 Cinemas in San Jose!
You’ll have the opportunity to meet your favorite derby girls at 8:15 on Friday, May 13th before the 9pm show!
Please print and bring a flyer with you to this event, and SVRG will receive $3 for every ticket purchased!
Camera 3 Cinema, 288 S. Second Street at San Carlos, San Jose, California
Love derby but can’t commit the time to play on a league?
Coming back from an injury and not ready for super-competitive play?
Can’t get enough derby on your current league?
Come join SVRG’s brand new recreational team!
Starting in May, SVRG’s Circuit Jerks will be hosting recreational skating drop-in practices and scrimmages! We aim to promote roller derby in a non-competitive way by hosting cooperative skating practices, holding mixed scrimmages with other local leagues, and keeping ourselves fit with both on- and off-skates workouts.
TO SKATE WITH THE CIRCUIT JERKS REC LEAGUE, YOU MUST:
- Own and wear protective gear: mouth guard, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, and helmet (and preferably your own skates, but rentals are available)
- Know how to derby skate. This means you have attended an SVRG bootcamp, passed WFTDA minimum skills testing, or have skated with another league. If you’re looking to learn how to skate we highly recommend signing up for an SVRG bootcamp session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be at least 18 years of age. If you’re not, sign up for our Junior Derby program for girls aged 7-17 by emailing email@example.com
- Have current USARS or WFTDA insurance. If you don’t have either forms of insurance, then email firstname.lastname@example.org for the 2011 USARS membership form.
Practices will be held on Tuesdays from 6-8pm at San Jose Skate (397 Blossom Hill Road) starting May 31st. The fee is $10 per session each time you attend, and attendance is on a drop-in basis. If you have any questions, please contact CynTax at email@example.com. Those interested in attending should also fill out the interest form.